Forms and Tools
Business Development and Management
- + 10 Days Past Due Letter Take the first step towards collecting late rent with this template letter. Inform and remind tenants of their lease default, and offer a contact number to call should they have any questions or concerns.
- + Activity Waiver and Release of Liability Use this customizable form when an activity waiver and release is required for an activity that would be held on building property grounds.
- + Calculating Property Square Footage Use this customizble spreadsheet template to determine the per square foot numbers for an entire property and for each tenant for their base rents, CAM, insurance, and taxes based upon their square footage and base rent.
- + Code and Local Law Compliance Summary Stay on track and keep a summary of local and code law compliances. From elevator inspections to antenna permits, this form helps managers keep a listing of actions that have taken place and those that need to be done.
- + Cost Plus Management Pricing Form Use this spreadsheet tool to determine the total cost for third-party management. The form takes into account the cost of service for property managers, property management company executives, accountants, and clerical services.
- + General Management Agreement This general management agreement documents arrangements made with a management company. The form can be used as a template and customized to fit each party's specific needs.
- + Generic Lease Proposal Customize this general lease proposal for an office building or retail property. This two-page proposal outlines the terms and conditions for completing a lease, including the base rent, additional charges, option details, security deposit, details of use, commencement date, insurance, utilities, and HVAC.
- + Leasing and Management Proposal for Shopping Center This sample proposal addresses a client's request for leasing and management services for four shopping centers. The proposal contains sections such as a proposal letter, property analysis, brief history, and business plan.
- + Management Assumption Checklist Existing Building This seven page checklist outlines duties for managers taking over an existing property. The checklist covers categories such as corporate administration, property transition, and operations.
- + Occupancy Vacancy Expirations Report Keep informed of unit occupancy or vacancy with this expiration report. The report helps managers schedule renewal or lease expiration updates.
- + Office Building Field Research Worksheet To ensure the consistency of a comparison grid it is a good idea to complete a field research worksheet for each building. This customizable worksheet includes space to identify buildings (building type, size, location, etc.), ownership and management, and contact personnel.
- + Office Building Notification Letter To ensure the consistency of a comparison grid it is a good idea to complete a field research worksheet for each building. This customizable worksheet includes space to identify buildings (building type, size, location, etc.), ownership and management, and contact personnel.
- + Property Takeover Financial Documentation Checklist These comprehensive checklist aides in financial procedures associated with taking over a property. Some of the operations included in the form are rent rolls, general ledgers, leases, and deposits.
- + Rent Roll Collections Report Use a rent roll to track rent received and collections. Log information by tenant and suite number, and calculate new balances.
- + Severely Past Due Letter Contact a tenant severely past due on rent with this template letter. The letter formerly states the lease article in default and requests immediate payment.
- + Statement of Collections Log and track rent received with this statement of collections form. This form also details other collections by amount, description, and account number.
- + Tenant Estoppel Certificate Use this tenant estoppel certificate to ensure that certain facts pertaining to the tenant's lease with its landlord are true. This certificate gives assurance to the purchaser of a property or lender that the lease is in full force and effect, that a certain amount of rent and security deposit have been pre-paid, and that the landlord is not in default of any landlord obligations under the lease.
- + Tenant Ledger Keep a tenant ledger to detail a tenant's rent payment schedule and any additional costs owed. This form allows for charges made to be described, tracked, and balanced.
- + Tenant Survey (Version 1) Encourage resident feedback with a tenant survey. This survey allows tenants to comment on management, thus helping managers to evaluate their team.
- + Tenant Survey (Version 2) Give tenants the option to rate their satisfaction levels for a variety of building items and services. The survey provides for appearance, safety, and management evaluations.
Finance and Asset Analysis
- + Bank Account Reconciliation - Version 2 The second version of the Bank Account Reconciliation Form reconciles accounts and general ledger balances side-by-side. Keep information organized by building number, account number, and bank name.
- + Bank Account Reconciliation Form A Bank Account Reconciliation Form helps reconcile deposits, withdrawals and expenses for efficient accounting. Simply start calculations with the latest account statement and unadjusted general ledger balance to figure out adjusted balances and to ensure that an account is in good order.
- + Capital Expenditure Budget Actual Report Log budgeted and actual capital expenditures by month and year to balance or explain variance.
- + Cash Receipts and Disbursements Track deposits and payments received and keep bank account balances in order with this convenient Excel form.
- + Chart of Accounts, Commercial and Residential A chart of accounts is important in organizing how a business handles money. The account items are classified by type of income or expense as well as by assets and liabilities, accounts receivable, and accounts payable. Customize the commercial and residential chart of accounts to fit the needs of your business.
- + Check Register Statement of Disbursements Follow and track disbursements with a check register. Arranged by check number and description, this form allows property managers to customize the list by month or by year.
- + Collections Summary A fundamental necessity to any property manager, the Collections Summary is a rental record of property income, tenant payments, deposits, delinquencies, and balances.
- + Commission Summary Keep a history of commissions transactions and schedules. This form records and accounts for the collection and distribution of payments made by clients.
- + Corporate Capital Improvement Request Record annual budgeting allotments with a capital improvement request. The request documents information such as cash on hand, budgeted improvements, and description of improvements being requested.
- + Deposit Collections Summary Log the details of deposit collections on a summary form. List the date and number of item received and log the amount and account information.
- + IREM Financial Analysis Spreadsheet The IREM Financial Analysis Spreadsheet performs cash flow analyses based on property performance and owners’ goals and objectives. Be sure to read the Spreadsheet Guide for all technical requirements and instructions for usage.
- + Journal Entries Keep track of bank accounts by documenting debit and credit transactions in this journal. Log account activity by description, number, and ending period.
- + Operating Budget This operating budget provides a detailed profile of incomes and expenses for a projected year. Calculate gross possible incomes, total actual collections, and operating costs.
- + Purchase Order Use a purchase order to invoice authorized purchases. Log the date of order, shipping instructions, and terms of purchase.
- + Purchase Order Log Log all authorized purchases by order number. Document information such as issuance, vendor details, and order received date.
- + Annual Performance Scorecard Use this customizable scorecard as an organized set of performance measures, grouped according to various aspects of performance.
- + Employee Termination Checklist Get help ensuring that all necessary information is documented with an employee termination checklist. The list walks managers through paying wages and other monies due to the employee, and makes sure any business property in the employee's possession is returned to the employer upon termination.
- + Employee Termination Checklist - Version 2 Use this checklist to ensure you have completed all necessary tasks and that any business property in the employee's possession is returned upon termination. Items on the checklist include COBRA letter, insurance benefits, monies due, and transfer of company manuals and communication devices.
- + Employee Warning Report Use this warning report to document employee violations. The form includes fields to enter statements, signatures, type of violation, etc. The form can be used as a template and customized to fit each party's needs.
- + Employment Application This five-page standard employment application contains all of the essential information you need to decide whether a candidate meets the minimum standard criteria for the job.
- + Interview Evaluation Report Log and note your impressions of a prospective employee with this Interview Evaluation Report. Rate an applicant on criteria such as work experience, education, and interview performance.
- + Job Analysis Use this customizable guide to assist conducting job analysis for a company at large or even at the property site through interviews, observations, or questionnaries.
- + Job Description - Regional Property Manager Customize this job description for a regional property manager. The form includes descriptions for qualifications, summary of functions, and major duties and responsibilities.
- + Maintenance Technician Test Customize this 75-question test to gauge maintenance technicians on their knowledge of basic maintenance skills. It covers areas like plumbing, carpentry, electrical systems, painting, tools, etc.
- + New Hire Checklist Use this checklist to ensure that your new hires receive all of the policies and procedures, insurance and benefits documents, and other new hire documents before they begin their job.
- + New Hire References As part of the hiring process, use this standard reference form to determine a job applicant's work performance history based on feedback from the applicant's previous employers.
- + Performance Evaluation This eleven-page job performance evaluation enables the reviewer and individual to assess and document the degree to which the individual has accomplished specified objectives from the previous review. The evaluation includes descriptions of performance ratings and key areas in which the individual is assessed.
- + Select List of Recommended Performance Measures Use this customizable form when setting performance goals and expectations for an employee.
Marketing and Leasing
- + Background Investigation Before accepting a prospective applicant, conduct a background investigation. This form authorizes and records background information such as a prospect�s residential and credit histories.
- + Building Analysis Document the condition and features of a given property in order to conduct an initial building analysis. Use this form to evaluate and rate the overall structural, mechanical, and functional state of a building site.
- + Building Data Sheet Use this Building Data Sheet to help assess the floor-by-floor usage allotment of a property. Features included as data are a floor's usable, common and rentable areas, as well as its floor load factor.
- + Corporate Credit Application Info (Commercial/Retail) When considering a new tenant, track your prospects background information with this Tenant Credit Information form. Record a tenant's credit rating and reference information to help decide approval status.
- + Lease Abstract This abstract provides a one-page overview of a lease�s important details. Document lease space, base rent, and deposit information. Also, note additional comments or concerns effecting lease approval.
- + Lease Activity Report Summarize leasing inquiries and activities for a property with an activity report. Log active prospects, submitted proposals, and signed leases.
- + Lease Standard Allowance Compute and analyze standard leases allowances such as partitions and light fixtures. Other allowances include hardware and doors.
- + Lease Summation Report Use a summation report to help administer a lease. This report details specific terms to be included in the lease and allows for the documentation of any modifications.
- + Lease Transmittal and Checklist This helpful form provides a checklist for duties related to transferring a lease. Collect tenant information, check off actions to be performed, and log contacts.
- + Leasing Action Plan A Leasing Action Plan allows you to document leasing information. Use this customizable form to document current tenants and rent, new tenants, new rent, costs, begin dates, and square footage.
- + Marketing Schedule Use a marketing schedule to plan projects and their budgets. Schedule and coordinate brochures, advertisements, public events, and more.
- + Move-In Notice This notice records move-in information for a tenant moving into a building. List tenant's contact information, parking and key distribution, and include any remarks or comments that need to be added.
- + Moving Notice Document moving dates and procedures for tenants leaving a building space. This form provides schedules for delivering keys, tenant kits, and other information.
- + Press Release Customize this "fill-in-the-blank" press release form for immediate release when the need arises during a disaster. The form includes room to input contact information, incident information (i.e. what happened, where, when, cause, injuries, etc.).
- + Prospective Lessee Qualifications It is important to have a proper evaluation when appraising prospective tenants. This customizable form includes a questions to help you think through the process and costs or a new business.
- + Retail Comparison Grid Evaluate a subject property to comparable properties on a feature-to-feature basis in order to set appropriate rates. Compare and contrast items such as appearance, parking, street visibility, and vacancy rate.
- + Shopper Report Use this customizable shopping report to document and identify shopper demographics. Use this report to document the level of satisfactions from a variety of questions and categories including telephone procedures, contact with office personnel, closing techniques, property appearance, and much more.
- + Shopping Center Marketing Survey Use this shopping center market survey to record the rental information and features of properties and the property's competition. This customizable form includes space to request information about location, building features, vacancies, tenant charges, and deal making rates.
- + Tenant Credit Information When considering a new tenant, do a background check with this Tenant Credit Information form. Record a tenant's credit rating and reference information to help decide approval status.
- + Tenant Move In Checklist Keep a tenant move in checklist to facilitate operations. This form helps document the dates that a tenant received correspondences, forms, packets, and other important information.
- + Traffic Report Keep track of the activity and the interest surrounding a property site. This Traffic Report logs how prospects came across property information and documents prospect inquiries and requirements.
- + Yield Analysis Form With the yield analysis form you can analyze the economics of a new lease. This customizable form helps you decide if a lease makes economic sense and if it meets the owner's minimum requirements. The top portion of this form lets you document summarized lease information. Use the bottom portion of this form to calculate the annual yield analysis.
- + Bid Estimate Worksheet Customize this Bid Estimate Worksheet for maintenance to fit management or service costs. It contains two worksheets for direct and indirect costs and includes columns for cost codes, types of cost, and additional notes.
- + Commercial Shopping Center Construction Checklist Use this checklist as a guide for the contractor prior to the construction start date, rules and regulations, and required on-site items. This form is a helpful checklist to document your policies with the contractor.
- + Construction Phasing Timetable Customized and use this phasing table to detail a tenant's construction plans. The table records different projects and their projected time tables.
- + Construction Schedule Worksheet Record and follow a tenant's schedule for a project from beginning to end. The Construction Schedule Worksheet charts a project at different time periods to describe and comment on work in progress.
- + Delivery and Pickup Register Have a delivery or pick-up register ready when couriers and packages arrive. A register allows an operator or security guard to document activities involved with delivering materials.
- + Elevator Entrapment Procedure Checklist Keep an uneasy situation under control with this entrapment checklist. The checklist walks through the procedures involved in handling elevator entrapment and logs information for maintenance purposes.
- + Elevator Incident Report Use an elevator incident report to track elevator incidents and their resolutions. Not only does this form describe what happened during a specific incident, but it also documents information from witnesses and mechanics.
- + Elevator Inspection Inspect elevators for leveling, ride, and other functions with this Elevator Inspection Report. This document allows managers to inspect, comment on, and control a building's elevator operations as well as note any required repairs or adjustments.
- + HVAC Unit Maintenance Use this form to track the maintenance of the HVAC units at your properties. The form includes fields to enter data for the compressor, condensing fan motor, contactor, compressor maintenance, and fan motor maintenance.
- + Inspection Checklist This form provides a comprehensive inspection list for building operators. Collect and log administrative duties, contractual obligations, tenant relations, maintenance services and more.
- + Insurance Policy Analysis Form Use this form to document and analyze exactly what is covered in an insurance policy, such as what the policy covers, people and/or property insured, limits of liability, and losses that are excluded from the policy.
- + Janitorial Survey Survey the interior and exterior conditions of a property. Document the physical state of entrance areas, floor conditions, and general cleaning.
- + Key Distribution Record Keep track of key distribution on a record. Customize this key distribution record to track the issuance and return of keys within a property.
- + Landlords Notice of Substantial Completion Document the completion of space rehabilitation and occupancy. Use this substantial completion form to notify a tenant that work on a unit has been completed and that a move-in date can be effectuated.
- + Landscape Maintenance Contract Use this form when hiring a maintenance contractor. This customizable contract form is helpful in determining policies and requirements for the contractor. This 4 page document includes contractor requirements, "scope of work" that is required, detailed information about lawn care, and so much more!
- + Landscape Schedule Use this customizable landscape schedule to record maintenance items on a monthly timetable. This form includes items such as mowing, mulching, lawn fertilization, pesticide control for lawn and flower beds, and so much more!
- + Maintenance Record Keep a history of a unit's repairs and services with a maintenance record. This form can be used to record the date and description of work as well as any remarks or comments remaining.
- + Maintenance Request Log Record tenant requests or inquiries on a documented log. Also track when work was requested, completed, and followed.
- + Maintenance Supply Inventory Track ordered and delivered maintenance provisions and keep in-house records with this supply inventory. The inventory lists quantities in stock, used, and needed.
- + Master Preventive Maintenance Frequency Schedule Provide an overview of maintenance requirements during a one year period with this master preventive form. This document helps keep maintenance informed of what equipment needs to be serviced at different seasons and locations.
- + Office Building Exterior Inspection Report Thoroughly inspect the outside of a building with the Office Building Exterior Inspection Report. This detailed checklist documents the external conditions of commercial and retail spaces upon vacancy.
- + Office Building Interior Inspection Report This in-depth checklist rates the internal condition of commercial and retail spaces upon vacancy. List and describe lobbies, doors, stairs, and windows as good, fair, or poor. Likewise, note repairs needed and their estimated costs.
- + Permit These permit cards authorize individuals to access or remove items from a suite or an office space. Simply print out the form, customize the cards and give to security personnel.
- + Physical Condition Checklist Use this customizable document when inspecting the physical condition of a property. This checklist includes an indepth inspection of the property exterior, parking lot, landscaping, common areas, restrooms, stairwells, elevators, mechanicals, and much more. Uses this form to determine wether or not a property item is in excellent, good, poor, or unacceptable condition, along with comment!
- + Preventive Maintenance Record As a preventive record, this maintenance form logs maintenance requirements and sets up a repair schedule. Document and plan the terms for contract bids, maintenance to be performed, and payment dues.
- + Punch List This in-depth punch list provides for the documentation of a property's interior state and establishes a maintenance schedule. Areas covered in the list include reception, rest rooms, and corridors.
- + Request for Bid Proposal Customize this Request for Bid Proposal for Interiorscape Management and Maintenance to fit management or service needs. It includes sections such as instructions to bidders, general requirements, technical maintenance specifications, and a frequency chart.
- + Request for Bid Proposal For Exterior Landscape Maintenance Use this customizable document when requesting contractors for a bid proposal on exterior landscape maintenance.
- + Roof Inspection Checklist Keep a roof inspection checklist at hand to facilitate the inspection of your residential roof.This comprehensive document includes a list of items to look for, such as deterioration, drainage, and rusting, when inspecting your roof. The document also includes space to mark observation and decide the types of conditions.
- + Security Guards' Daily Report Logs any incidents that occur during security shifts.
- + Stockroom Usage Control Control how parts and equipments from the stockroom are used. Keep a log of materials taken by employees for use in a suite and track quantity as well as item number.
- + Tenant Construction Cost Estimate Itemize repair work and costs for work on a tenant's suite or office. Costs estimates are based on a comprehensive list of items such as wall and floor covering, interior partitions, and architectural design.
- + Work Letter Agreement Customize this work letter agreement, as an addendum to the lease, to detail all the work to be done for the tenant by the owner.
- + Crime Report Have a crime report form handy if an incident occurs on a property site. This in-depth form documents the victim's information and the specific details of the crime.
- + Emergency Contact Numbers As a comprehensive list of a property's emergency contact numbers, this list is handy to post in a building's management office. Listings include essential agencies such as police and fire departments, and useful numbers such as electricians and lawn maintenance.
- + Emergency Incident Report Customize and use this emergency incident report to quickly report and emergency. The form includes name and address for the person reporting the incident, date and time incident is reported, contact information or any witnesses, person(s) involved, what authorities were called, and so much more!
- + Liability Accident Notice Detail the circumstances and damages surrounding an accident. This one page notice documents any information needed to follow-up on an incident and includes accident descriptions and witness statements.
- + Loss Report Form In the event of injury or property damage, document the details on this loss report form.
- + Risk Control Checklist Minimize risk at a property by using a risk control checklist. The list covers areas from recordkeeping procedures and accident prevention to personal protective equipment and office safety.
- + Safety Checklist To help ensure safety at a property, use these safety checklists, which include checklists for Slip, Trip and Fall Prevention, Office Safety, Fire Prevention, Flammable Liquids, Emergencies, Fire Drill Evaluation Report, and GL Safety Audit/Inspection.
- + Security Checklist This security checklist consists of a comprehensive list of items to help identify problems and discover ways to better safeguard your property. Items for consideration include windows, miscellaneous openings, key control, lighting, visibility and access, vandalism and theft protection, and alarms.
IREM Glossary of Real Estate Management Terms
Find definitions of more than 2,000 terms plus acronyms, abbreviations and mathematical formulas in this glossary.
Click here to access the glossary.
IREM Income and Expense Analysis Reports
The Institute's Income/Expense Analysis reports are indispensable tools that help you assess where your properties stand in the marketplace.
HP10BII Calculator Tutorial - Interactive!
This customized, interactive tutorial provides a step-by-step approach to solving common financial problems.
Rent & Income Limit CalculatorÂ© for tax credit housing professionals)
The Rent & Income Limit CalculatorÂ© is available with the compliments of Novogradac & Company LLP.